Monday, March 22, 2010

Insulting is an art. Middle Schools hold experts.

The Worst Type of Insult
A Compliment.
A compliment, when delivered earnestly, leaves the prey absolutely unguarded. It is hard to react to. You could say 'thank you', but you run the risk of having the taunter think you believed his compliment. You could say something back, but, most often, the kids who get teased aren't the ones who talk back. If they do, it seems flustered, and you don't want to seem bothered. Most kids just stand, looking lost and defeated.

Since kindergarten, I and my classmates have been told how to solve a conflict using a step-by-step process. First, you take a breath and count to ten. Then, you calmly state your feelings (I feel mad that you broke my crayon, I felt sad when you insulted me, ect.). You resolve the argument by deciding what each person could do to prevent the conflict from happening again.

I have never been told what to do if the person I am confronting does not listen. I have never been told what to do if the person I am confronting laughs in my face.

My Self-taught Conflict Solution
Avoid the Conflict.
Don't spend emotion on anyone but friends; they're the only ones who will listen. Everyone else; tell them to go away and get on with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment