Monday, March 7, 2011

Lunch should classify as a class. Or, anyway, my lunch. I am lucky enough to be part of a lunch table at which, I learn at least as much as in any of my other classes.

Reasons Why My Lunch Table is AWESOME
-It is THE most diverse table in the cafeteria
-It is a strange group of people
-The people there are obsessed with manga and anime
-They are obsessed with food
-And many other reasons

The People at My Table
(named by the Hettalia (anime series) Character that we have taken on (I'm Canada!))

England- A slightly awkward girl obsessed with Wisconsin who is constantly filling notebooks with fan fiction and other writing. We have become very good friends this year.
America- Ironic since she is the only one who is NOT an American citizen. She moved from Pakistan in 3rd grade and talks about how her parents moved here for her and how she wants to make them feel that it was worth it. But she struggles to relate her life to her parents since it is such a different world. She is totally out there and ridiculous and hilarious and more than that, a very interesting person.
France-Born in Haiti, she shares much of 'America's' immigrant anxieties but is much more closed than 'America'
Japan- A hispanic girl who sketches incredible anime characters. Always a light and funny presence. She has invited 'America' to travel with her family to El Salvador this summer.
Spain- Another hispanic girl who is gearing up for her Quinceañera even though it is still a year and a half away. She has told us all that she is inviting us and selected 'America' as one of her special guests. 
Germany- She was born in Germany and lived there for a few years but no one seems to know that. She stays at our table because it is the place she feels she fits in best. 

At our lunch table, we constantly joke about why we ended up there: that we don't fit in with any of the OTHER groups. I wouldn't have it any other way. Every day I learn something about a different culture or different life and have wonderful friends to discuss all this new knowledge with. I don't know why I felt like blogging this. I suppose I just wanted to give three cheers to my table. So: hip-hip hooray for the type of diversity schools constantly lecture about!


No comments:

Post a Comment